Skip to main content

Set Your Sights

Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things.- Colossians 3:2 

Have you ever made a mistake and had someone ask, "Where are you at?" They ask it when they think you've lost your focus. Usually it happens when performing an easy task or one they've seen you perform successfully numerous times. But this time your actions don't match the task. They assume your mind is on something else or somewhere else. 

The challenges of life have a way of hijacking our peace and focus. Finances, work, friendships, church, housing, food, politics, children, spouses, parents, worry, fear, anger, and jealousy can take over our minds. They take our focus off of the task at hand. 

Paul reminds his readers, in his letter to the Colossians, that we all died. We are born again in Jesus and the things of this world cannot change our future. We have the promise of an eternal place in heaven with our Lord. Nothing in this world can ever take that away. There is no fear, worry, or distraction that can change this truth. So, go ahead and set your sights on this promise rather than earthly things.  

What are you allowing to steal your focus? What on this Earth is making you take your eyes off of God?

Be blessed and be a blessing,
Matt 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Anchor House Week 31 - NAMMA

The first week of August, I had the chance to attend the North American Maritime Ministry Association (NAMMA) Conference. NAMMA is an ecumenical, Christian association of individuals and affiliated organizations involved in maritime ministry throughout North America, including the United States, Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean. I had the privilege of attending the conference with our summer intern, Gabe. For both of us it was the first time we had the chance to be a part of the conference. I enjoyed getting to meet so many individuals who serve the Lord across the globe. Each of us serves at different ports and in unique ways. The exchange of ideas was both enjoyable and informative, especially for me as the new guy. Each of the people I met had a heart for the seafarer and the challenges they face. Their hearts poured out to show the love of Jesus to the men and women aboard the vessels that visit their respective ports.   One of the highlights of the trip was me...

Bold Like Stephen

I've always admired people who aren't afraid to be bold in their convictions.  It is the kind of boldness that allows them to stand out in the crowd. There is just something different about how these people view and engage the world around them.  The movie “Hacksaw Ridge” portrays a man that exemplifies what I mean by bold.  He was drafted to serve in World War II but refused to bear arms because of religious reasons. Yet, he still managed to receive the Congressional Medal of honor. Without a weapon in his hand, he saved 75 men in the Battle of Okinawa. Despite his objection to violence, he still served his country. Despite his objection to war he found a way to love his neighbor. He was bold.  When I think of bold in the Bible, I think of Stephen. Acts 6:8 says, "Now Stephen, a man full of God’s grace and power, performed great wonders and signs among the people." Stephen faced opposition to his teachings. Those that opposed his teachings couldn't ...

On Mission

 Have you ever done something for many, many years? When you've done things for a long time, you create habits and ways of doing things. Your body learns to run on autopilot. You may have experienced it before. Have you ever driven somewhere that you go to frequently and not been sure about the journey there? Something else was on your mind and muscle memory just took over. Voila! You were at your destination. Doing things over and over again makes an indentation on us that lasts a while.  For the past 16 ½ years I have driven 5-7 days per week to the college for work. Monday, I will take another path to work. God has called me to serve His people in His ministry. Rather than traveling south to the college, I'll head north to the Port of Manatee for my first day as Executive Director/Chaplain at Anchor House Mission. I first learned of the mission at our church as it was highlighted as a mission we support regularly. At that time, I had no idea that God was t...