Skip to main content

Disciple Makers

Then Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”
Matthew 28:18‭-‬20 NIV

I hope this is one of the most impactful selections of scripture for us as followers of Jesus. To set the scene, Jesus is on a mountain and with his closest followers. He's defeated death and left the empty tomb behind. I'm sure the apostles are starting to really understand all He shared with them. The pieces of a puzzle clearly fitting into place. I envision it being like a coach in a huddle just before a game. He shares his final instructions to his team before they go out and execute the plan.

If you've seen the movie Pulp Fiction, I think that what the apostles experienced would have been like the film. Pulp fiction is written and filmed in such a way that connects what seems like random disconnected stories. The end of the film brings it all together and it just makes sense. There is a bit of an "Ah Ha moment" and your brain puts it all together. I wonder if the eleven followers felt the same way. 

In His message, Jesus makes it clear that following Him means action. It is not something that happens passively. You don't get to sit back and watch. You have a responsibility. You have to get up and get busy.

When you choose to follow Jesus you become a disciple maker who does so because you love God. You choose to show love to your neighbors, just like Jesus did. After all He told us, "“A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another." (John 13:34 NIV)

Let's be honest, at times it's hard to love some people. They can be mean and rude. People can say things that hurt each other. If we are really going to be honest, we have to admit that sometimes that person who is hard to love is staring at us in the mirror. Whether we feel like a person deserves for us to love them, God reminds us that He feels they are worthy of love. 

As you reflect on Matthew 28:18-20 consider the following: 
  How's your love of God's people going?
  How's your disciple making going? 

Be blessed and be a blessing,
Matt



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Anchor House Week 31 - NAMMA

The first week of August, I had the chance to attend the North American Maritime Ministry Association (NAMMA) Conference. NAMMA is an ecumenical, Christian association of individuals and affiliated organizations involved in maritime ministry throughout North America, including the United States, Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean. I had the privilege of attending the conference with our summer intern, Gabe. For both of us it was the first time we had the chance to be a part of the conference. I enjoyed getting to meet so many individuals who serve the Lord across the globe. Each of us serves at different ports and in unique ways. The exchange of ideas was both enjoyable and informative, especially for me as the new guy. Each of the people I met had a heart for the seafarer and the challenges they face. Their hearts poured out to show the love of Jesus to the men and women aboard the vessels that visit their respective ports.   One of the highlights of the trip was meeting one

Anchor House Week12: Constant

I've gotten almost a week behind on my reflections from Anchor House. It seems there just isn't enough time in the day.  The way these blogs come together is different from week to week.  Some weeks God puts a message clearly on my heart. Others it feels like a struggle to put "pen to paper".   This week was one of those that I knew exactly what I'd write about. However, each day passed and I missed the opportunity. You see, I write best in the mornings. Not sure if it's the limited distractions, a product of my habit of practicing my spiritual disciplines in the morning, or something else entirely. Most of my afternoon writing is intelligible and requires numerous edits.  In the AM, however, they seem to make more sense.   What's funny is that as I am writing, I am feeling God moving.  He's moving from what I thought I was to write about to what He wants me to share. These shifts and changes are a part of the shipping industry.  Things hap

King of the Jews

Then Pilate took Jesus and had Him flogged. The soldiers twisted together a crown of thorns and put it on His head. They clothed Him in a purple robe and went up to Him again and again, saying, “Hail, king of the Jews!” And they slapped Him in the face. Once more Pilate came out and said to the Jews gathered there, “Look, I am bringing Him out to you to let you know that I find no basis for a charge against Him.” When Jesus came out wearing the crown of thorns and the purple robe, Pilate said to them, “Here is the man!” As soon as the chief priests and their officials saw Him, they shouted, “Crucify! Crucify!” But Pilate answered, “You take Him and crucify Him. As for me, I find no basis for a charge against Him.” The Jewish leaders insisted, “We have a law, and according to that law He must die, because He claimed to be the Son of God.” When Pilate heard this, he was even more afraid, and he went back inside the palace. “Where do you come from?” he asked Jesus, but Jesus g