Skip to main content

Beatitudes

"and he (Jesus) began to teach them. He said: 
'Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted. 
Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth. 
Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled. 
Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy. 
Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God. 
Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God. 
Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me. Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you."
Matthew 5:2‭-‬12 NIV

Do any of those tug at your heart? Do any of them hit home? Haven't we all experienced at least one of them?

I wonder what the audience at the time heard and felt. They had no idea the persecution that was ahead for Jesus or for those that would later be known as Christians. They had no idea that love and peace would reign supreme as their King ascended to His throne.

The promises of these blessings are powerful and bold. They speak of our eternal existence with our creator and the fundamental nature of His kingdom. They encourage us to persevere through the troubles of this world. They point to a forever with our Savior which lies ahead. 

This list is known as the beatitudes. Miriam Webster dictionary defines beatitude as "a state of utmost bliss". They define bliss as "complete happiness." I love those definitions. Beatitude is a state of utmost, complete happiness.  

Jesus wants us to be completely happy and we will be completely happy in His kingdom of heaven. Until then we will have difficult times. 

Our world needs us to embrace Jesus' words in the beatitudes. It needs us to seek and share this state of utmost bliss and complete happiness. In the darkness, we rest in these blessings and our light shines through. In the strife, pain, and hurt we stand differently because of the eternal blessings from Jesus. 

I'd like to challenge all who are brave to read the beatitudes (including myself) daily for the next 7 days. Make a commitment. Read it at the time you are most awake and alert. If your a morning lover or night owl, make time each day to read it. I encourage you to take quite time with the passage. Fight the urge to just read it to cross off something on the "to do" list. But, REALLY READ and reflect on it daily. Let God stir in you through His blessings.  

We can't change the world. But we can change ourselves, our perspective, and be the light for those around us. 

Be blessed and be a blessing,
Matt

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Anchor House Week 31 - NAMMA

The first week of August, I had the chance to attend the North American Maritime Ministry Association (NAMMA) Conference. NAMMA is an ecumenical, Christian association of individuals and affiliated organizations involved in maritime ministry throughout North America, including the United States, Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean. I had the privilege of attending the conference with our summer intern, Gabe. For both of us it was the first time we had the chance to be a part of the conference. I enjoyed getting to meet so many individuals who serve the Lord across the globe. Each of us serves at different ports and in unique ways. The exchange of ideas was both enjoyable and informative, especially for me as the new guy. Each of the people I met had a heart for the seafarer and the challenges they face. Their hearts poured out to show the love of Jesus to the men and women aboard the vessels that visit their respective ports.   One of the highlights of the trip was meeting one

Anchor House Week12: Constant

I've gotten almost a week behind on my reflections from Anchor House. It seems there just isn't enough time in the day.  The way these blogs come together is different from week to week.  Some weeks God puts a message clearly on my heart. Others it feels like a struggle to put "pen to paper".   This week was one of those that I knew exactly what I'd write about. However, each day passed and I missed the opportunity. You see, I write best in the mornings. Not sure if it's the limited distractions, a product of my habit of practicing my spiritual disciplines in the morning, or something else entirely. Most of my afternoon writing is intelligible and requires numerous edits.  In the AM, however, they seem to make more sense.   What's funny is that as I am writing, I am feeling God moving.  He's moving from what I thought I was to write about to what He wants me to share. These shifts and changes are a part of the shipping industry.  Things hap

King of the Jews

Then Pilate took Jesus and had Him flogged. The soldiers twisted together a crown of thorns and put it on His head. They clothed Him in a purple robe and went up to Him again and again, saying, “Hail, king of the Jews!” And they slapped Him in the face. Once more Pilate came out and said to the Jews gathered there, “Look, I am bringing Him out to you to let you know that I find no basis for a charge against Him.” When Jesus came out wearing the crown of thorns and the purple robe, Pilate said to them, “Here is the man!” As soon as the chief priests and their officials saw Him, they shouted, “Crucify! Crucify!” But Pilate answered, “You take Him and crucify Him. As for me, I find no basis for a charge against Him.” The Jewish leaders insisted, “We have a law, and according to that law He must die, because He claimed to be the Son of God.” When Pilate heard this, he was even more afraid, and he went back inside the palace. “Where do you come from?” he asked Jesus, but Jesus g