Skip to main content

Freedom isn't free

In America, the term "Freedom isn't Free'' is frequently seen together with red, white, and blue. You may see pictures of the flag, a soldier honoring another fallen soldier, or the infamous silhouette of the soldiers pushing the flag upright. There are even songs titled "Freedom Isn't Free" that mention the USA and sacrifices of our military. These are inspiring messages of sacrifice paid at its fullest. One life given for something greater. 

I'm not sure why, but "Freedom isn't Free" popped into my mind the other day and I haven't been able to shake it. I think it is because of Easter and my reflection on the price paid for me. I realize that I have freedom. Freedom to choose to follow Jesus or choose to follow something else. God gave me the freedom to decide. 

Choosing Jesus means choosing freedom. Freedom from the control and weight of this world. Freedom in a forever with our God. We will face difficult times, experience hurt, feel the emptiness of loss, the pain of failure, and other trying moments on this earth. These moments are a tiny, miniscule fraction of our forever of bliss with God.

The key to freedom is in truth. John 8:32 says, "Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.” God is the fullness of truth and He is the fullness of grace. In His truth we have freedom. Of that truth, the greatest is the Son of Man and what Jesus did for you and me. Jesus paid the price for us. He served as a substitute for each of us, taking which was really meant for each of us. His sacrifice was for something much greater. Our freedom, in deed, came at a price. 

Be blessed and be a blessing,
Matt


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Anchor House Week 31 - NAMMA

The first week of August, I had the chance to attend the North American Maritime Ministry Association (NAMMA) Conference. NAMMA is an ecumenical, Christian association of individuals and affiliated organizations involved in maritime ministry throughout North America, including the United States, Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean. I had the privilege of attending the conference with our summer intern, Gabe. For both of us it was the first time we had the chance to be a part of the conference. I enjoyed getting to meet so many individuals who serve the Lord across the globe. Each of us serves at different ports and in unique ways. The exchange of ideas was both enjoyable and informative, especially for me as the new guy. Each of the people I met had a heart for the seafarer and the challenges they face. Their hearts poured out to show the love of Jesus to the men and women aboard the vessels that visit their respective ports.   One of the highlights of the trip was me...

Bold Like Stephen

I've always admired people who aren't afraid to be bold in their convictions.  It is the kind of boldness that allows them to stand out in the crowd. There is just something different about how these people view and engage the world around them.  The movie “Hacksaw Ridge” portrays a man that exemplifies what I mean by bold.  He was drafted to serve in World War II but refused to bear arms because of religious reasons. Yet, he still managed to receive the Congressional Medal of honor. Without a weapon in his hand, he saved 75 men in the Battle of Okinawa. Despite his objection to violence, he still served his country. Despite his objection to war he found a way to love his neighbor. He was bold.  When I think of bold in the Bible, I think of Stephen. Acts 6:8 says, "Now Stephen, a man full of God’s grace and power, performed great wonders and signs among the people." Stephen faced opposition to his teachings. Those that opposed his teachings couldn't ...

On Mission

 Have you ever done something for many, many years? When you've done things for a long time, you create habits and ways of doing things. Your body learns to run on autopilot. You may have experienced it before. Have you ever driven somewhere that you go to frequently and not been sure about the journey there? Something else was on your mind and muscle memory just took over. Voila! You were at your destination. Doing things over and over again makes an indentation on us that lasts a while.  For the past 16 ½ years I have driven 5-7 days per week to the college for work. Monday, I will take another path to work. God has called me to serve His people in His ministry. Rather than traveling south to the college, I'll head north to the Port of Manatee for my first day as Executive Director/Chaplain at Anchor House Mission. I first learned of the mission at our church as it was highlighted as a mission we support regularly. At that time, I had no idea that God was t...