Skip to main content

Anchor House Week12: Constant

I've gotten almost a week behind on my reflections from Anchor House. It seems there just isn't enough time in the day.  The way these blogs come together is different from week to week.  Some weeks God puts a message clearly on my heart. Others it feels like a struggle to put "pen to paper".  

This week was one of those that I knew exactly what I'd write about. However, each day passed and I missed the opportunity. You see, I write best in the mornings. Not sure if it's the limited distractions, a product of my habit of practicing my spiritual disciplines in the morning, or something else entirely. Most of my afternoon writing is intelligible and requires numerous edits.  In the AM, however, they seem to make more sense.  

What's funny is that as I am writing, I am feeling God moving.  He's moving from what I thought I was to write about to what He wants me to share. These shifts and changes are a part of the shipping industry.  Things happen that modify shipping schedules. Weather may prevent a ship from coming in or leaving port. The cargo may take longer than expected to unload or a load may be cut short because the shipper cancelled an order last second. Trucks may have accidents that block the entrance to the port. There are many variables that modify shopping schedules. 

What's the point? Things change.  Many times they change and we can't do a thing about it. We may feel helpless and as if we are a ship crashing in the waves with no captain. It can be frustrating and terrifying. These changes may impact our plans and what we thought we could do. They may steal our vision for what we thought was ahead. 

Thankfully, there is a place where we can have peace.  There is a choice we can make that changes everything.  There is a choice we can make that will overcome the uncertainty of change. A few weeks ago I wrote about change. I spoke about Jesus being the constant throughout all change. 

When we place our trust in Jesus and decide to follow Him, we decide to strive to join him in being the constant.  That means in the face of the uncertainty of change we are called to be light in the darkness (Matt 5:16). That is a place Anchor House serves.  In the face of uncertainty, we are the constant. We are the calm.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Anchor House Week 32 - Freedom

In this country, I think we take freedom for granted. Most of us have never known anything but freedom. We can typically come and go as we please. We can pursue the dreams we envision. We live in a country that provides us significant freedom. For the seafarers we serve at Anchor House, freedom takes on a life of its own. Freedom to leave the ship depends upon visas, shorepasses, duration of stay in port, and the decisions of ships owners, management, and captains. There are many factors that can impact a seafarer's ability to get off of a ship and have the freedom to move about.  February 20, 2022, Russia invaded Ukraine. The term freedom drastically changed for the Russian and Ukrainian seafarers we serve. They found themselves restricted and could no longer enjoy shoreleave at our port. Meanwhile their colleagues from other countries were able to visit Anchor House or travel to town for shopping while their ships were in port. While their countries waged war and live

Anchor House Week 31 - NAMMA

The first week of August, I had the chance to attend the North American Maritime Ministry Association (NAMMA) Conference. NAMMA is an ecumenical, Christian association of individuals and affiliated organizations involved in maritime ministry throughout North America, including the United States, Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean. I had the privilege of attending the conference with our summer intern, Gabe. For both of us it was the first time we had the chance to be a part of the conference. I enjoyed getting to meet so many individuals who serve the Lord across the globe. Each of us serves at different ports and in unique ways. The exchange of ideas was both enjoyable and informative, especially for me as the new guy. Each of the people I met had a heart for the seafarer and the challenges they face. Their hearts poured out to show the love of Jesus to the men and women aboard the vessels that visit their respective ports.   One of the highlights of the trip was meeting one