Skip to main content

Anchor House Week 9: Change

The deeper I get into my new role the easier it is to seek routine. At the SeaPort very few things are routine besides break time and lunch time. Everything else is subject to weather, shipping schedules, and numerous other factors. As I was told by Trish when I started, flexibility is key.  

Coming from the dynamic environment of intercollegiate athletics there are many similarities. Flexibility was needed in that role too. Rain has forced many a delayed game or the rescheduling of a game. I think for most of us there is some degree of flexibility required in our lives. The Greek philosopher Heraclitus is quoted as saying, "The only constant in life is change." 

I am guessing most of us have heard this saying or some variation of it. It is something we can, most likely, appreciate. This is especially true after the last 24 months we have endured. We saw global change at a rate we've never seen before. Behaviors and cultural norms all shifted seemingly overnight. Change certainly impacted each and everyone of us.

While change happens often and requires us to adjust it is not the only constant in life. There is one, and only one, true constant (sorry Heraclitus). God's love is the only true constant. John 3:16 tells us of the nature of God's love. God's love is so immense he gave his only son that we may have eternity with God, basking in his love. Jesus Christ is the embodiment of God's love. God's love is a constant and the same forever, "Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever" (Hebrews 13:8). 

In the face of the change this world may throw your way. Take heart in God's love. It is the only constant in life. 

Be blessed and be a blessing,
Matt

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Anchor House Week 31 - NAMMA

The first week of August, I had the chance to attend the North American Maritime Ministry Association (NAMMA) Conference. NAMMA is an ecumenical, Christian association of individuals and affiliated organizations involved in maritime ministry throughout North America, including the United States, Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean. I had the privilege of attending the conference with our summer intern, Gabe. For both of us it was the first time we had the chance to be a part of the conference. I enjoyed getting to meet so many individuals who serve the Lord across the globe. Each of us serves at different ports and in unique ways. The exchange of ideas was both enjoyable and informative, especially for me as the new guy. Each of the people I met had a heart for the seafarer and the challenges they face. Their hearts poured out to show the love of Jesus to the men and women aboard the vessels that visit their respective ports.   One of the highlights of the trip was me...

Bold Like Stephen

I've always admired people who aren't afraid to be bold in their convictions.  It is the kind of boldness that allows them to stand out in the crowd. There is just something different about how these people view and engage the world around them.  The movie “Hacksaw Ridge” portrays a man that exemplifies what I mean by bold.  He was drafted to serve in World War II but refused to bear arms because of religious reasons. Yet, he still managed to receive the Congressional Medal of honor. Without a weapon in his hand, he saved 75 men in the Battle of Okinawa. Despite his objection to violence, he still served his country. Despite his objection to war he found a way to love his neighbor. He was bold.  When I think of bold in the Bible, I think of Stephen. Acts 6:8 says, "Now Stephen, a man full of God’s grace and power, performed great wonders and signs among the people." Stephen faced opposition to his teachings. Those that opposed his teachings couldn't ...

On Mission

 Have you ever done something for many, many years? When you've done things for a long time, you create habits and ways of doing things. Your body learns to run on autopilot. You may have experienced it before. Have you ever driven somewhere that you go to frequently and not been sure about the journey there? Something else was on your mind and muscle memory just took over. Voila! You were at your destination. Doing things over and over again makes an indentation on us that lasts a while.  For the past 16 ½ years I have driven 5-7 days per week to the college for work. Monday, I will take another path to work. God has called me to serve His people in His ministry. Rather than traveling south to the college, I'll head north to the Port of Manatee for my first day as Executive Director/Chaplain at Anchor House Mission. I first learned of the mission at our church as it was highlighted as a mission we support regularly. At that time, I had no idea that God was t...