Skip to main content

The "est"

The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full. - John 10:10 NIV

This week I had the chance to share a short devotional in our Anchor House staff meeting. It was about this word "thrive" that God has put on my heart for this year and in this new chapter.  The word "thrive" can be defined as "to grow or develop well, to prosper, to flourish." 

When I think about thriving in God's kingdom, John 10:10 comes to mind.  But I must admit that I have struggled with what it says.  It says "life to the full" and I want it to say "life to the fullest". Isn't that what the world tells us to do? Live life to the fullest?  We are supposed to be the strongest, the richest, the smartest, prettiest, or any other "est". I want to compete. I want to live life to the fullest.

That's not the way God's kingdom works.  It's not a competition. Jesus died and rose from the dead so that we may have life to the full. Mine is not better than yours and yours not better than mine.  At the feet of Jesus, we are all equal. We all get the same reward when Jesus is our Lord and Savior. We all get what we don't deserve. We each receive a new forever. 

"For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord." - Romans 6:23

“Very truly I tell you, whoever hears my word and believes Him who sent me has eternal life and will not be judged but has crossed over from death to life. - John 5:24

As we go through the daily grind, I pray we shift our perspective. The life we are promised in Jesus is a life to the full not the fullest. We're not in competition but in service. We are in process. Life to the full means thriving. Life to the full is filled with a growth, development, and prosperity that is only found with Jesus Christ. 

Be blessed and be a blessing,
Matt

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Anchor House Week 31 - NAMMA

The first week of August, I had the chance to attend the North American Maritime Ministry Association (NAMMA) Conference. NAMMA is an ecumenical, Christian association of individuals and affiliated organizations involved in maritime ministry throughout North America, including the United States, Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean. I had the privilege of attending the conference with our summer intern, Gabe. For both of us it was the first time we had the chance to be a part of the conference. I enjoyed getting to meet so many individuals who serve the Lord across the globe. Each of us serves at different ports and in unique ways. The exchange of ideas was both enjoyable and informative, especially for me as the new guy. Each of the people I met had a heart for the seafarer and the challenges they face. Their hearts poured out to show the love of Jesus to the men and women aboard the vessels that visit their respective ports.   One of the highlights of the trip was me...

Bold Like Stephen

I've always admired people who aren't afraid to be bold in their convictions.  It is the kind of boldness that allows them to stand out in the crowd. There is just something different about how these people view and engage the world around them.  The movie “Hacksaw Ridge” portrays a man that exemplifies what I mean by bold.  He was drafted to serve in World War II but refused to bear arms because of religious reasons. Yet, he still managed to receive the Congressional Medal of honor. Without a weapon in his hand, he saved 75 men in the Battle of Okinawa. Despite his objection to violence, he still served his country. Despite his objection to war he found a way to love his neighbor. He was bold.  When I think of bold in the Bible, I think of Stephen. Acts 6:8 says, "Now Stephen, a man full of God’s grace and power, performed great wonders and signs among the people." Stephen faced opposition to his teachings. Those that opposed his teachings couldn't ...

On Mission

 Have you ever done something for many, many years? When you've done things for a long time, you create habits and ways of doing things. Your body learns to run on autopilot. You may have experienced it before. Have you ever driven somewhere that you go to frequently and not been sure about the journey there? Something else was on your mind and muscle memory just took over. Voila! You were at your destination. Doing things over and over again makes an indentation on us that lasts a while.  For the past 16 ½ years I have driven 5-7 days per week to the college for work. Monday, I will take another path to work. God has called me to serve His people in His ministry. Rather than traveling south to the college, I'll head north to the Port of Manatee for my first day as Executive Director/Chaplain at Anchor House Mission. I first learned of the mission at our church as it was highlighted as a mission we support regularly. At that time, I had no idea that God was t...