Skip to main content

As for me and my house...

But if serving the Lord seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your ancestors served beyond the Euphrates, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you are living. But as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord.” - Joshua 24:15 NIV

This selection of scripture has been one I would consider a favorite.  The older I've gotten the more pleasure I take in it. Becoming a husband it began to be more impactful. As I became a father it meant even more. There is something about declaring your home for God.  Joshua does it in such a powerful way. 

This chapter in the book of Joshua documents Joshua's final charge to the people of Israel. After this exchange, he will pass away at the age of 110 years old. At this time , he is asking the people of Israel to renew their covenant with God. This agreement is their declaration as God as their Lord, and not some other god or some king.  

I find myself envisioning Joshua standing before this massive crowd. Addressing them in a way that a WWE wrestler might antagonize their opponent.  Trying to get to the inner core of the person with words that may rattle them to action.  

Then I realize this is a 110 year old man.  He is not a young man simply saying, "Me and my couple of young kids who can't decide for them selves will follow God." Instead he is saying, "I've lived my life and I know that my ancestors will follow God.". His statement is generational. It's a declaration that his immediate family, their children, and their children, and their children will serve God.  He will be their Lord and master. His allegiance and his family's allegiance is to the one true God, I am. 

Decide today who or what you will serve.  Will you serve fame, or power, or money? Will it be the world's definition of success? Or will you serve a God whose grace covers each and everyone of us. A God who sent His son to walk this earth and pay the price required to restore each of us in His Kingdom. 

If you choose God, then ask yourself, "what does that look like in my life? If I declare my house to serve God, what must my walk on this earth look like?

Be blessed and be a blessing,

Matt


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Anchor House Week 31 - NAMMA

The first week of August, I had the chance to attend the North American Maritime Ministry Association (NAMMA) Conference. NAMMA is an ecumenical, Christian association of individuals and affiliated organizations involved in maritime ministry throughout North America, including the United States, Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean. I had the privilege of attending the conference with our summer intern, Gabe. For both of us it was the first time we had the chance to be a part of the conference. I enjoyed getting to meet so many individuals who serve the Lord across the globe. Each of us serves at different ports and in unique ways. The exchange of ideas was both enjoyable and informative, especially for me as the new guy. Each of the people I met had a heart for the seafarer and the challenges they face. Their hearts poured out to show the love of Jesus to the men and women aboard the vessels that visit their respective ports.   One of the highlights of the trip was me...

Bold Like Stephen

I've always admired people who aren't afraid to be bold in their convictions.  It is the kind of boldness that allows them to stand out in the crowd. There is just something different about how these people view and engage the world around them.  The movie “Hacksaw Ridge” portrays a man that exemplifies what I mean by bold.  He was drafted to serve in World War II but refused to bear arms because of religious reasons. Yet, he still managed to receive the Congressional Medal of honor. Without a weapon in his hand, he saved 75 men in the Battle of Okinawa. Despite his objection to violence, he still served his country. Despite his objection to war he found a way to love his neighbor. He was bold.  When I think of bold in the Bible, I think of Stephen. Acts 6:8 says, "Now Stephen, a man full of God’s grace and power, performed great wonders and signs among the people." Stephen faced opposition to his teachings. Those that opposed his teachings couldn't ...

On Mission

 Have you ever done something for many, many years? When you've done things for a long time, you create habits and ways of doing things. Your body learns to run on autopilot. You may have experienced it before. Have you ever driven somewhere that you go to frequently and not been sure about the journey there? Something else was on your mind and muscle memory just took over. Voila! You were at your destination. Doing things over and over again makes an indentation on us that lasts a while.  For the past 16 ½ years I have driven 5-7 days per week to the college for work. Monday, I will take another path to work. God has called me to serve His people in His ministry. Rather than traveling south to the college, I'll head north to the Port of Manatee for my first day as Executive Director/Chaplain at Anchor House Mission. I first learned of the mission at our church as it was highlighted as a mission we support regularly. At that time, I had no idea that God was t...