Skip to main content

Christmas Card

You may have heard Christians say, "They will know us by our love." They are referring to John 13:35.  It says, “By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another."  

This is a verse that has been on my mind lately. As the holiday season gets rolling the pace of life seems to pick up.  The "to do" list includes decorations, baking, and shopping for gifts. There are Christmas parties to attend and movies to watch. It's easy to get caught up in the litany of things to do and pass over the opportunity presented by the season.  

As the shopping centers get crowded and tempers rise, we have a chance to be different.  By sharing kindness and grace we can make a small impact in our circles. The things of this world take over in our modern Christmas season. By anchoring ourselves in Jesus we can be different when someone runs into us with a shopping cart or cuts us off in the parking lot. 

They say supply chain will impact the gifts you may want to give.  This seems to add to the frenzied mentality. I think it is a tremendous opportunity for us as Christians. We can purposely choose to give another gift this Christmas season. A gift that will never break or fade away. When you are staring at a shelf with the last of the season's hottest item, be the glimmer of light and let them have it.

We get to love and show the world that we follow Jesus.  Maybe by our example, someone will choose to check out church this Christmas and hear the Gospel for the first time. Through our kindness someone who has been hurt by the church may decide to give it another try. They may see that there is an entire group of people who love in a way that they stand out from the rest of the world.  

Last week Pastor Tim shared that we have these cards with our Christmas service times printed on them.  I encourage you to take a handful and share them with people you encounter. Embrace the season and the opportunity it presents.  Choose to show love in the me-centric, materialistic modern Christmas season.  Let everyone know you follow Jesus by the way you love and live. Then do something bold and invite them to join us at Westside. 

Merry Christmas,

Matt



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Anchor House Week 31 - NAMMA

The first week of August, I had the chance to attend the North American Maritime Ministry Association (NAMMA) Conference. NAMMA is an ecumenical, Christian association of individuals and affiliated organizations involved in maritime ministry throughout North America, including the United States, Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean. I had the privilege of attending the conference with our summer intern, Gabe. For both of us it was the first time we had the chance to be a part of the conference. I enjoyed getting to meet so many individuals who serve the Lord across the globe. Each of us serves at different ports and in unique ways. The exchange of ideas was both enjoyable and informative, especially for me as the new guy. Each of the people I met had a heart for the seafarer and the challenges they face. Their hearts poured out to show the love of Jesus to the men and women aboard the vessels that visit their respective ports.   One of the highlights of the trip was meeting one

Anchor House Week12: Constant

I've gotten almost a week behind on my reflections from Anchor House. It seems there just isn't enough time in the day.  The way these blogs come together is different from week to week.  Some weeks God puts a message clearly on my heart. Others it feels like a struggle to put "pen to paper".   This week was one of those that I knew exactly what I'd write about. However, each day passed and I missed the opportunity. You see, I write best in the mornings. Not sure if it's the limited distractions, a product of my habit of practicing my spiritual disciplines in the morning, or something else entirely. Most of my afternoon writing is intelligible and requires numerous edits.  In the AM, however, they seem to make more sense.   What's funny is that as I am writing, I am feeling God moving.  He's moving from what I thought I was to write about to what He wants me to share. These shifts and changes are a part of the shipping industry.  Things hap

King of the Jews

Then Pilate took Jesus and had Him flogged. The soldiers twisted together a crown of thorns and put it on His head. They clothed Him in a purple robe and went up to Him again and again, saying, “Hail, king of the Jews!” And they slapped Him in the face. Once more Pilate came out and said to the Jews gathered there, “Look, I am bringing Him out to you to let you know that I find no basis for a charge against Him.” When Jesus came out wearing the crown of thorns and the purple robe, Pilate said to them, “Here is the man!” As soon as the chief priests and their officials saw Him, they shouted, “Crucify! Crucify!” But Pilate answered, “You take Him and crucify Him. As for me, I find no basis for a charge against Him.” The Jewish leaders insisted, “We have a law, and according to that law He must die, because He claimed to be the Son of God.” When Pilate heard this, he was even more afraid, and he went back inside the palace. “Where do you come from?” he asked Jesus, but Jesus g