Skip to main content

Simple Question

When Jesus saw him lying there and learned that he had been in this condition for a long time, he asked him, “Do you want to get well?”

John 5:6 NIV

The person Jesus said this to had been paralyzed for 38 years.  That's along time!  He was at a pool in Jerusalem called Bethesda. The remains of this pool can still be seen in Jerusalem.  

The colonnades around the pool was a location where many disabled people were left each day to rest.  I envision hundreds of people laying on mats, unable to get up and move.  While others are wandering around aimlessly because they are blind.  It seems it would have been a sight to see.

With all of these people around, Jesus chose one. I suppose He could have chosen any of them.  For that matter, He could have healed all of them.  Yet He made a personal invitation to just one.  

The simplicity of the question is astounding. It seems like a lay up, a no brainer, a gimme. Reading it today, if I were in the shoes of the paralytic I think my response would be “Of course I do!” Who wouldn’t jump at the chance to walk if paralyzed for 38 years? Of course, I would imagine the question would sound strange after being paralyzed that long. I am certain my heart would be hardened. I would see it as the perfect time for a sarcastic response.  Something like, “No thanks, I’d rather be paralyzed sitting here rotting on this mat.”

Jesus stands before us each day asking, “Do you want to get well?”  However, we become filled with our own self-consciousness and pride.  We tell God, “I got this.” We even completely ignore God and make our own decisions thinking we can go alone.  We say we want to be well, but we refuse to turn over parts of our lives to him. 

In the story John tells us the man does the same thing. In his response to Jesus, he provides an excuse as to why he can’t get to the pool.  He never answers Jesus' question.  Just then, Jesus tells the paralyzed man, “Get up and walk!” (John 5:8). Almost as if Jesus is saying, “I know what you want and need.  Even when you can’t help but get in the way of yourself."

Just imagine what God could do if we really answered that question, “Do you want to get well?”  with a resounding "YES!" If we let go of the chains that hold us down.  If we surrendered self-righteousness, arrogance, self-centeredness, etc…  Just imagine if we simply got up and carried our mat just like the paralyzed man in John's 5th chapter.

Be blessed and be a blessing,

Matt

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Anchor House Week 31 - NAMMA

The first week of August, I had the chance to attend the North American Maritime Ministry Association (NAMMA) Conference. NAMMA is an ecumenical, Christian association of individuals and affiliated organizations involved in maritime ministry throughout North America, including the United States, Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean. I had the privilege of attending the conference with our summer intern, Gabe. For both of us it was the first time we had the chance to be a part of the conference. I enjoyed getting to meet so many individuals who serve the Lord across the globe. Each of us serves at different ports and in unique ways. The exchange of ideas was both enjoyable and informative, especially for me as the new guy. Each of the people I met had a heart for the seafarer and the challenges they face. Their hearts poured out to show the love of Jesus to the men and women aboard the vessels that visit their respective ports.   One of the highlights of the trip was me...

Bold Like Stephen

I've always admired people who aren't afraid to be bold in their convictions.  It is the kind of boldness that allows them to stand out in the crowd. There is just something different about how these people view and engage the world around them.  The movie “Hacksaw Ridge” portrays a man that exemplifies what I mean by bold.  He was drafted to serve in World War II but refused to bear arms because of religious reasons. Yet, he still managed to receive the Congressional Medal of honor. Without a weapon in his hand, he saved 75 men in the Battle of Okinawa. Despite his objection to violence, he still served his country. Despite his objection to war he found a way to love his neighbor. He was bold.  When I think of bold in the Bible, I think of Stephen. Acts 6:8 says, "Now Stephen, a man full of God’s grace and power, performed great wonders and signs among the people." Stephen faced opposition to his teachings. Those that opposed his teachings couldn't ...

On Mission

 Have you ever done something for many, many years? When you've done things for a long time, you create habits and ways of doing things. Your body learns to run on autopilot. You may have experienced it before. Have you ever driven somewhere that you go to frequently and not been sure about the journey there? Something else was on your mind and muscle memory just took over. Voila! You were at your destination. Doing things over and over again makes an indentation on us that lasts a while.  For the past 16 ½ years I have driven 5-7 days per week to the college for work. Monday, I will take another path to work. God has called me to serve His people in His ministry. Rather than traveling south to the college, I'll head north to the Port of Manatee for my first day as Executive Director/Chaplain at Anchor House Mission. I first learned of the mission at our church as it was highlighted as a mission we support regularly. At that time, I had no idea that God was t...