Skip to main content

Gra(v)(c)e

The other day, when I was typing grave into my phone, it autocorrected it to grace. At first I didn't notice. When it caught my attention, I realized the significance of such a subtle change. With the switch of one letter the meaning of the message had completely changed. 

A grave has a certain finality to it, right? It's the "final resting place" for a human being, for a person's body. It even has in stone the dates of your birth and death etched into it. Our way of saying "The End". 

But Jesus overcame the finality of the grave. He changed it from a period at the end of a sentence to a comma. After Jesus died on the cross and was placed in the tomb, I am certain His disciples felt the finality of death. They felt the confusion of losing this man that was changing everything. They felt the weight of the loss of this person. It was over. Period.

From the grave came the ultimate act of grace. Death on a cross turned into salvation for all. I can only imagine the joy the disciples experienced as this transformation occured right before their eyes.  

In Jesus' defeat of death, His grace now reigns supreme. We take on the same death of the grave because of the grace of Jesus Christ.

"'I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I now live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me. I do not set aside the grace of God, for if righteousness could be gained through the law, Christ died for nothing!'" - Galatians 2:20-21

The spirit living in us compels us to live a different way. The grave changes everything. The grace that was provided by that death means everything. 

Thank you autocorrect for the reminder that the grave and grace are forever intertwined.

Be blessed and be a blessing
Matt Ennis






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Anchor House Week 31 - NAMMA

The first week of August, I had the chance to attend the North American Maritime Ministry Association (NAMMA) Conference. NAMMA is an ecumenical, Christian association of individuals and affiliated organizations involved in maritime ministry throughout North America, including the United States, Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean. I had the privilege of attending the conference with our summer intern, Gabe. For both of us it was the first time we had the chance to be a part of the conference. I enjoyed getting to meet so many individuals who serve the Lord across the globe. Each of us serves at different ports and in unique ways. The exchange of ideas was both enjoyable and informative, especially for me as the new guy. Each of the people I met had a heart for the seafarer and the challenges they face. Their hearts poured out to show the love of Jesus to the men and women aboard the vessels that visit their respective ports.   One of the highlights of the trip was me...

Bold Like Stephen

I've always admired people who aren't afraid to be bold in their convictions.  It is the kind of boldness that allows them to stand out in the crowd. There is just something different about how these people view and engage the world around them.  The movie “Hacksaw Ridge” portrays a man that exemplifies what I mean by bold.  He was drafted to serve in World War II but refused to bear arms because of religious reasons. Yet, he still managed to receive the Congressional Medal of honor. Without a weapon in his hand, he saved 75 men in the Battle of Okinawa. Despite his objection to violence, he still served his country. Despite his objection to war he found a way to love his neighbor. He was bold.  When I think of bold in the Bible, I think of Stephen. Acts 6:8 says, "Now Stephen, a man full of God’s grace and power, performed great wonders and signs among the people." Stephen faced opposition to his teachings. Those that opposed his teachings couldn't ...

On Mission

 Have you ever done something for many, many years? When you've done things for a long time, you create habits and ways of doing things. Your body learns to run on autopilot. You may have experienced it before. Have you ever driven somewhere that you go to frequently and not been sure about the journey there? Something else was on your mind and muscle memory just took over. Voila! You were at your destination. Doing things over and over again makes an indentation on us that lasts a while.  For the past 16 ½ years I have driven 5-7 days per week to the college for work. Monday, I will take another path to work. God has called me to serve His people in His ministry. Rather than traveling south to the college, I'll head north to the Port of Manatee for my first day as Executive Director/Chaplain at Anchor House Mission. I first learned of the mission at our church as it was highlighted as a mission we support regularly. At that time, I had no idea that God was t...