Skip to main content

Fight for Me

We went camping a week ago with friends. July in Florida, it's hot and humid.  Thankfully our pop up camper has an air conditioning unit.  It's amazing how well it cools our tent on wheels. When we arrived at the campsite and got set up, we learned that our air conditioning unit decided to take the weekend off.  

I had worked all day loading and preparing for the trip. I was already hot and tired by the time we got to the site. Learning that we wouldn't have AC sent me off the edge.  What ensued was a temper tantrum that any two-year old would be envious.  I was not a good representation of the traits of an elder at that moment. 

What ensued was an outpouring of grace and love from my friends and family. They may not have realized it, but in that moment they were the face of Jesus to one very tired and angry man. 

The rest of the weekend we camped without AC and had a blast.  Sunday our check out day, my phone decided to take the day off.  At first I felt the same anger creeping in, but then I saw the faces of those that showed me so much grace and love.  I realized there must be a lesson in this.  

We get so wrapped up in our stuff that we miss the lessons sometimes.  I think God was telling me to "be there" in the moment.  The AC, the phone, the stuff are just distractions from being in the space He wants us to be in. James 4:8 tells us to "draw near to God".  That is get the other stuff out of the way and "be there" in the moment with God.  It says that when we draw near to Him, He will do the same to us. 

The anger and frustration I experienced were tools of the enemy to draw me further from God. The love and grace of my family and friends were no doubt God's counter action to fight for me.  Draw near to God and be there.  He will fight for you, even when you are exhausted and most vulnerable.  Sometimes when you can't fight, He sends His children to fight and stand up for you. 

Be blessed abd be a blessing,

Matt


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Anchor House Week 31 - NAMMA

The first week of August, I had the chance to attend the North American Maritime Ministry Association (NAMMA) Conference. NAMMA is an ecumenical, Christian association of individuals and affiliated organizations involved in maritime ministry throughout North America, including the United States, Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean. I had the privilege of attending the conference with our summer intern, Gabe. For both of us it was the first time we had the chance to be a part of the conference. I enjoyed getting to meet so many individuals who serve the Lord across the globe. Each of us serves at different ports and in unique ways. The exchange of ideas was both enjoyable and informative, especially for me as the new guy. Each of the people I met had a heart for the seafarer and the challenges they face. Their hearts poured out to show the love of Jesus to the men and women aboard the vessels that visit their respective ports.   One of the highlights of the trip was me...

Bold Like Stephen

I've always admired people who aren't afraid to be bold in their convictions.  It is the kind of boldness that allows them to stand out in the crowd. There is just something different about how these people view and engage the world around them.  The movie “Hacksaw Ridge” portrays a man that exemplifies what I mean by bold.  He was drafted to serve in World War II but refused to bear arms because of religious reasons. Yet, he still managed to receive the Congressional Medal of honor. Without a weapon in his hand, he saved 75 men in the Battle of Okinawa. Despite his objection to violence, he still served his country. Despite his objection to war he found a way to love his neighbor. He was bold.  When I think of bold in the Bible, I think of Stephen. Acts 6:8 says, "Now Stephen, a man full of God’s grace and power, performed great wonders and signs among the people." Stephen faced opposition to his teachings. Those that opposed his teachings couldn't ...

On Mission

 Have you ever done something for many, many years? When you've done things for a long time, you create habits and ways of doing things. Your body learns to run on autopilot. You may have experienced it before. Have you ever driven somewhere that you go to frequently and not been sure about the journey there? Something else was on your mind and muscle memory just took over. Voila! You were at your destination. Doing things over and over again makes an indentation on us that lasts a while.  For the past 16 ½ years I have driven 5-7 days per week to the college for work. Monday, I will take another path to work. God has called me to serve His people in His ministry. Rather than traveling south to the college, I'll head north to the Port of Manatee for my first day as Executive Director/Chaplain at Anchor House Mission. I first learned of the mission at our church as it was highlighted as a mission we support regularly. At that time, I had no idea that God was t...