Skip to main content

Peace be with You

Growing up in the Roman Catholic church we had a time during the service or mass for passing of the peace. It was essentially the greeting time of the service.  The people would turn to the folks seated around them and say, "Peace" or "Peace be with you".  If someone said the latter you would say, "and also with you." For the most part it was tradition. I don't recall ever feeling like I was wishing for peace for someone when I said "Peace be with you." Not that I wished ill on them, I just never considered the meaning of those words. I simply said it because it was the thing to say at that part of the mass.  

While reading the other day, I read Paul's introduction to his letter to the church in Galatia. It is like many of the introductions to the letters he wrote. "Grace and peace to you from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ, who gave himself for our sins to rescue us from the present evil age, according to the will of our God and Father, to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen" (Galatians 1:3‭-‬5 NIV). Of course, it is what got me thinking about the time of peace in my Roman Catholic upbringing.

I can recall dreading the time of peace in the Roman Catholic service. I was quite a shy boy and the anxiety I felt was very real. I didn't want to shake the hand of a stranger and tell them "Peace be with you." It was uncomfortable.  I was so wrapped up in my own head, I couldn't fathom actually hoping for peace for someone else. 

Yet now I read Paul's words and I am moved by the beauty of them.  The anxiety I felt should have been washed over by the grace and peace of our savior.  He rescued us from that which was not peaceful through his sacrificial offering of himself. Indeed, because of Jesus, we can experience true grace and peace. As lovers of His people, shouldn't we wish for all to experience peace and grace?

The next time a storm hits or brews inside of you, dwell in peace and grace. It is finished. The price is paid. Because of Jesus, there is nothing of this world that can take away the peace and grace he freely gives.  

I pray for the peace and grace of Jesus Christ to wash over each of you.

Peace and grace,

Matt Ennis


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Anchor House Week 31 - NAMMA

The first week of August, I had the chance to attend the North American Maritime Ministry Association (NAMMA) Conference. NAMMA is an ecumenical, Christian association of individuals and affiliated organizations involved in maritime ministry throughout North America, including the United States, Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean. I had the privilege of attending the conference with our summer intern, Gabe. For both of us it was the first time we had the chance to be a part of the conference. I enjoyed getting to meet so many individuals who serve the Lord across the globe. Each of us serves at different ports and in unique ways. The exchange of ideas was both enjoyable and informative, especially for me as the new guy. Each of the people I met had a heart for the seafarer and the challenges they face. Their hearts poured out to show the love of Jesus to the men and women aboard the vessels that visit their respective ports.   One of the highlights of the trip was me...

Bold Like Stephen

I've always admired people who aren't afraid to be bold in their convictions.  It is the kind of boldness that allows them to stand out in the crowd. There is just something different about how these people view and engage the world around them.  The movie “Hacksaw Ridge” portrays a man that exemplifies what I mean by bold.  He was drafted to serve in World War II but refused to bear arms because of religious reasons. Yet, he still managed to receive the Congressional Medal of honor. Without a weapon in his hand, he saved 75 men in the Battle of Okinawa. Despite his objection to violence, he still served his country. Despite his objection to war he found a way to love his neighbor. He was bold.  When I think of bold in the Bible, I think of Stephen. Acts 6:8 says, "Now Stephen, a man full of God’s grace and power, performed great wonders and signs among the people." Stephen faced opposition to his teachings. Those that opposed his teachings couldn't ...

On Mission

 Have you ever done something for many, many years? When you've done things for a long time, you create habits and ways of doing things. Your body learns to run on autopilot. You may have experienced it before. Have you ever driven somewhere that you go to frequently and not been sure about the journey there? Something else was on your mind and muscle memory just took over. Voila! You were at your destination. Doing things over and over again makes an indentation on us that lasts a while.  For the past 16 ½ years I have driven 5-7 days per week to the college for work. Monday, I will take another path to work. God has called me to serve His people in His ministry. Rather than traveling south to the college, I'll head north to the Port of Manatee for my first day as Executive Director/Chaplain at Anchor House Mission. I first learned of the mission at our church as it was highlighted as a mission we support regularly. At that time, I had no idea that God was t...