Skip to main content

Anchor House - Week 22 - High Speed Internet

This past week we were blessed by Big Fish Technologies. For the longest time Anchor House has struggled to get internet speeds and stability that could keep up with today's demands. For the seafarer, it wasn't much faster than the slow WiFi they could get on board the ship. For us at Anchor House, we struggled to do the daily tasks of paying bills, reading email, and various other web based activities.  

When I first started, we began the process to qualify for participation in the Giving Challenge. Doing so required uploading a significant number of PDF documents. This should be a task that is easily done with modern day technology. However, I found that one PDF file would take 10 minutes to upload or would completely fail to upload on the Anchor House internet. With slow speeds like we had, there is no way a Seafarers could download movies or an electronic version of the Bible to their phone to combat the countless hours of solitude. 

But now things are different. Big Fish figured out that we could wirelessly beam high speed internet from another building to our building. They laid out a plan to install internet at the building down the road from us. Using special antennas they beam the internet back and forth between Anchor House and the building down the road.  

When we had the internet installed at the building down the road from us, I shared what we were doing with the installer from the internet provider. He told me that he had zero confidence our plan would work. Of course, he didn't work for Big Fish and didn't have the complete understanding of the scope of the project. But right then and there, the enemy planted a seed of doubt in my heart. I thought, “Maybe he is right. He’s an expert with this stuff, righ?. Oh my goodness, what if we go through all this trouble only to find out it didn't work.” The enemy used that moment to wedge doubt in against my faith. 

My friend, whom I've known for well over a decade, was the representative for Big Fish Technologies who had been working with us. He is trustworthy and honest. If it couldn’t be done, he would have told me. He deserved for me to put my trust in him. He’d certainly earned it. I should have had more faith in our relationship but that seed of doubt is a powerful thing. The enemy had successfully attacked my faith.  

It makes me think of Peter being called out of the boat by Jesus. He had all the faith in the world when he stepped out of that boat. A few steps in doubt rushed in and took over. Peter was able to physically look our savior square in the eyes. He still managed to let doubt attack his faith. He took his eyes off of what he knew to be true. He allowed his faith to waiver rather than trusting his relationship with Jesus.

As fear took over and Peter began to sink, he cried out to Jesus saying, “Lord save me.” Immediately Jesus reached out his hand and caught him. (Matthew 14:30-31). Just like Peter, I asked Jesus for help and He came to my rescue. With His help my faith squashed doubt. 

It's really simple. God just wants us to trust Him. He wants us to trust that His son did it all for us and through Him we have this amazing promise of a beautiful forever. The enemy on the other hand, fears trust in God because the enemy knows he stands no chance going toe to toe with the Great I Am. 

Be blessed and be a blessing,
Matt

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Anchor House Week 31 - NAMMA

The first week of August, I had the chance to attend the North American Maritime Ministry Association (NAMMA) Conference. NAMMA is an ecumenical, Christian association of individuals and affiliated organizations involved in maritime ministry throughout North America, including the United States, Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean. I had the privilege of attending the conference with our summer intern, Gabe. For both of us it was the first time we had the chance to be a part of the conference. I enjoyed getting to meet so many individuals who serve the Lord across the globe. Each of us serves at different ports and in unique ways. The exchange of ideas was both enjoyable and informative, especially for me as the new guy. Each of the people I met had a heart for the seafarer and the challenges they face. Their hearts poured out to show the love of Jesus to the men and women aboard the vessels that visit their respective ports.   One of the highlights of the trip was meeting one

Anchor House Week12: Constant

I've gotten almost a week behind on my reflections from Anchor House. It seems there just isn't enough time in the day.  The way these blogs come together is different from week to week.  Some weeks God puts a message clearly on my heart. Others it feels like a struggle to put "pen to paper".   This week was one of those that I knew exactly what I'd write about. However, each day passed and I missed the opportunity. You see, I write best in the mornings. Not sure if it's the limited distractions, a product of my habit of practicing my spiritual disciplines in the morning, or something else entirely. Most of my afternoon writing is intelligible and requires numerous edits.  In the AM, however, they seem to make more sense.   What's funny is that as I am writing, I am feeling God moving.  He's moving from what I thought I was to write about to what He wants me to share. These shifts and changes are a part of the shipping industry.  Things hap

King of the Jews

Then Pilate took Jesus and had Him flogged. The soldiers twisted together a crown of thorns and put it on His head. They clothed Him in a purple robe and went up to Him again and again, saying, “Hail, king of the Jews!” And they slapped Him in the face. Once more Pilate came out and said to the Jews gathered there, “Look, I am bringing Him out to you to let you know that I find no basis for a charge against Him.” When Jesus came out wearing the crown of thorns and the purple robe, Pilate said to them, “Here is the man!” As soon as the chief priests and their officials saw Him, they shouted, “Crucify! Crucify!” But Pilate answered, “You take Him and crucify Him. As for me, I find no basis for a charge against Him.” The Jewish leaders insisted, “We have a law, and according to that law He must die, because He claimed to be the Son of God.” When Pilate heard this, he was even more afraid, and he went back inside the palace. “Where do you come from?” he asked Jesus, but Jesus g